Skilled and Caring LGBTQIA counseling for couples and individuals
We care deeply about providing safe and affirming LGBT counseling for individuals and couples. Our therapists are welcoming and affirming to people on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual), including non-binary identities.
We are passionate about providing a well-informed, affirming and positive environment for our LGBTQIA+ clients. We understand that you may have experienced discrimination, lack of awareness, stigma, and prejudices, and we want you to feel welcomed and safe here.
An ideal LGBTQIA+ affirming therapist takes into consideration the differences in LGBT and cisgender/heterosexual experience, but also listens to you and works with you to determine your needs.
Maybe you want counseling that is focused on your sexuality and/or gender. Maybe you simply want a therapist who is aware, sensitive to, and welcoming of your unique experience and focus for therapy.
Whatever you need, we want to provide the most affirming and best therapy experience for your needs and focus. We understand that opening up in a therapeutic setting may be scary at first, and that you may have had negative experiences of seeking help.
LGBTQIA+ Couples Counseling
We provide services for LGBTQIA+ couples who deal with many of the same issues as heterosexual and cisgender couples. However, we understand that some of the issues you face may stem from LGBTQIA+ identities.
- Communication difficulties
- Challenges with sexual intimacy
- Feelings of jealousy and insecurity, resulting in lack of trust
- Conflicts in a relationship
- Relationship injuries, such as affairs
- Financial issues
- Work-related stress
- Family conflicts
Challenges Specifically Affecting LGBTQIA+ Couples
- Dealing with prejudices or negative attitudes in society, resulting in feeling guilt or shame and wanting to hide who you are
- Homophobic and unaccepting families
- Commitment challenges
- Legal, medical and religious discrimination
- Internalized homophobia
- Parenting (becoming parents/starting a family, being parents in the “non-traditional” sense, issues and complications relating to this, lack of legal recognition of being a parent, social inequalities also affecting the children)
- When one member of the couple/or a spouse comes out as transgender
If you, or you and your partner/spouse are currently experiencing difficulties, our well-trained therapists are non-judgmental, respectful and sensitive to the issues experienced by all individuals and couples, including those identifying as LGBTQIA+.
Individual LGBTQIA+ counseling:
- Safe and LGBTQIA+ affirming counseling for general issues such as relationship concerns, depression, anxiety, and trauma
- Societal discrimination (prejudices, negative attitudes and societal rejection which can result in feeling guilt or shame and wanting to hide who you are)
- Struggles in daily environments (school, work, college, home)
- Work discrimination (employability, harassment)
- Questioning sexuality and/or gender identity
- Gender dysphoria
- Dealing with homophobic parents and/or family
- Coming out
- Personal acceptance or Internalized homophobia (belief in the negative attitudes and stigmas about the LGBTQIA+ community)
Let’s get started changing your life and meeting your goals! To schedule an appointment, feel free to call 303-513-8975, X1. You can also book an appointment online through our portal. Schedule Appointment