Meet Lauren Johnson, MSW, couples therapist, fellow imperfect parent!
If you are like most of us, you want so desperately to feel seen, secure and accepted by those most important in your life. And yet, you probably also have times when your relationships are instead painful, leaving you feeling lonely and stuck.
You and your partner can get stuck in a pattern where you misunderstand each other, create stories about why your connection has disappeared, react negatively, or even pull further away from that desired closeness. You are not alone in this cycle.
All couples have a negative pattern they get stuck in that can get in the way of closeness, and even make you question whether you can make it together.
My job is to help you see how you are getting stuck, help you learn to reach out and communicate so that you start feeling the closeness and happiness you have been hoping for.
What is it like to work with me?
It is truly my privilege to assist individuals, couples and families in their search for connection.
I offer a safe space for you that is nonjudgmental and compassionate.
I bring humor into my work with you as I personally know the ups and downs of marriage and raising kids.
I believe that every person has inherent worthiness and brings unique strengths into the room – every session. My role is to be present with you and help you experience yourself and your loved ones in new ways.
Who are my clients?
I enjoy working with couples in all stages of relationships. I work with couples ranging from those who want to boost their relationship to those that feel their relationship may be on the brink of ending.
It is my role to contain conflict so that there can be NEW experiences within therapy that can eventually transition into the everyday bustle of life.
I can help your relationship if you want to:
- Get unstuck from rigid relationship patterns where you end up feeling unheard, not cared for and discouraged.
- Have more genuine connections with your partner
- Heal from broken trust if an affair happened.
- Increase romance or sexual intimacy in your relationship
- Want to learn more about your own emotions and how to assert your needs in a healthy way
- Navigate the BIG life transitions such as marriage, starting a family, parenting, or dealing with an empty-nest.
I can help you with:
- Learning healthier ways to assert yourself in personal and professional relationships.
- Navigating life transitions such as the loss of a loved one or a recent divorce.
- Exploring your family of origin to help bring awareness to how past experiences can impact current relationship patterns. I have a passion for helping people find empowerment in the face of a challenging relationship with their mother or father.
- Re-discovering your personal strengths and sense of empowerment to help you feel confident in making that leap towards your desired life!
I genuinely enjoy working with individuals that may have never been given the space or permission to explore their own emotions and relational needs. It is an honor to me to be part of helping people uncover the places inside that may have been hidden away for some time.
I enjoy working with parents and teenagers as they try to walk the fine line between desired connection and the search for independence. I help each person in the family feel safe to explore how their relationships are working and what they want them to be.
The search for acceptance and belonging begins in our families. However, navigating the twists and turns of family life can be complicated and at times can create a sense of loneliness.
During adolescence, parents and teens sometimes end up feeling isolated from one and other and gravely misunderstood. It is a beautiful process to work on bridging the divide and helping parents and teenagers begin a new relationship that can transition into the next stage of life.
What are some of my favorite things?
- Traveling with my husband and kids
- Mountain time
- Snuggling with my kids watching a movie
- Camping on our Airstream all over Colorado
- Time with friends when I laugh so hard that I cry
- Falling into a good book
What are my hours?
Coming January 2017!
Wednesdays from 8am – 11:30am
Thursdays from 10am – 7pm
Saturdays from 8am – Noon
To schedule with me, call 303-513-8975, X 1, or use our easy online scheduler:
What is my background?
I received my Master’s in Social Work (MSW) from the University of Denver and my BA from CU Boulder. I worked for many years with children and their families at a residential/day treatment program in Denver. In the past few years I have worked with adults, adolescents, couples and families at a non-profit counseling center in Brighton.
Through my journey in this field I found my PASSION for working with couples and discovered an approach that would change my work forever. Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) became my lifeline as I have witnessed amazing results for couples from all backgrounds and stages in life.
I would love to work with you. Let’s get started today!